Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Things just keep getting classier in Spain...

Losing my metro pass was tragic, I’ll admit. But the fact that yesterday I was ticketed for not having the correct ticket on a tram blew that out of the water. So not only did I lose my pass worth 50€ but then I had to pay 25€ or else I would have been arrested. How completely irresponsible of me. So, needless to say, I’m buying every ticket now and I will NOT attempt to sneak onto any type of public transportation while visiting Spain. Lesson learned backwards and forwards. Got it. Marcel said that in the 5 years he’s been coming to Spain, that’s only the second or third time that he’s seen them actually walk through checking tickets. Lucky me! And the funny thing is that when Molly and I sat down, I pointed out a sign that said the minimum fine for not having the correct ticket. We laughed about how much that would suck. Well, let me tell you, it sucks big time.

Monday morning we were able to go on the boat like we had planned! It was so awesome. I like how I have pictures looking down on the city from the top of Mount Tibidabo and now pictures looking from the Mediterranean Sea over the city. City class was fun at first but then Marcel took us to an exhibit that was totally in Catalan and had the MOST annoying music ever. I think it was about energy consumption. We watched this girl go through her typical day and it gave facts about the different services and stuff Catalunya offers. But still…totally different language. Music…still stuck in my head. We got a whole pamphlet about it though that’s in English and we have to write a paper about it. I’m sure that’ll make what we watched make much more sense.

Tuesday’s walk was of my favorites so far! We started at the Edifici Forum and saw the huge solar panel that I was able to take pictures of the day before from the boat, then made our way to the center of the city visiting all the big parks on the way. The parks in Barcelona are so much fun. They make their slides on huge hills and they have awesome block things that make music. Oh and huge teeter totters! I think DJ and I broke one of the 4-way teeter totters (oops). Photo class was fun and it went by fast. Marcel showed us the different sizes of pictures and then how to organize.



Today is Katie’s birthday! Right when I woke up I noticed a letter on the floor and someone had slid my mail under our door last night. I got a letter from Ashley, my old co-chair! I was so happy. After having such an emotionally draining day yesterday, it was nice to start my day like that. Our walk started at Torre Agbar and we went on a huge hunt for this drink that Marcel wanted us to try (I think it was called Tio Che?) that took us about an hour.



He bought a round for us all and we sat on a street in Pobleneu while we all tried it. It’s made from almonds that they soak for 24 hours and it looks milky and tastes like carrots. It wasn’t good or bad. I would never crave it and it left a weird aftertaste in my mouth, but I’m glad I tried it! We finished our walk and a few of us headed to the beach. Per Marcel’s suggestion, we went further than we normally do and the beach was practically empty! It was so nice. We were right next to a restaurant too that was playing Michael Jackson on repeat it seemed, so it was perfect. We stayed for about 3 hours. I got burned for the first time in the most awkward shapes. I only put sunscreen on my shoulders but I have random hand prints on my legs and my stomach…awesome, haha. We left the beach and headed to Carrefour to get supplies for our potluck we’re all having tonight for Katie’s birthday! Our potluck was DELICIOUS. Some of the girls cooked and it was probably the best meal we’ve had so far, haha. Now we’re getting ready to go out to celebrate. We asked one of the guys at the restaurant that we laid by this afternoon where we should go and he suggested Opium, so I’m sure that’s where we’ll go…and do hoodrat things.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I like that you just used the phrase "do hoodrat things." But mostly I just like reading about your adventures, so keep it up for the people like me who are leading super boring lives right now.

P.S. my word verification word is "foxista." Sounds scandalous.