Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pre-Madrid/Granada

Sunday seems like forever ago. I honestly don’t even remember what I did. I beached! That’s right...gettin' all brown n stuff. (Side note: crazy lady started early AGAIN second night in a row. I’m totally fine with that, better 11:30 at night than 4 in the morning) Then, that evening a group of us got some delicious €1,88 bottles of white wine and saw the Magic Fountain show at Montjuïc! It was beautiful! Katie knocked a baby to the ground and we all took jumping pictures in front of the fountain. It started at about 9:30 and lasted until 11:30, but we left about 15 minutes early because we all wanted gelato/crepes. On our way back in the subway, a guy tried to pickpocket Austin. Molly and I were behind the group on the escalator and a shady looking group of guys were in-between us. We had just made a comment about how they looked so suspicious when Molly saw one of them reach his hand into Austin’s pocket. She started yelling at him that he was being pick pocketed and the guy pulled away. They actually followed us to our train, but I gave them the evil eye and they left. Or something like that. Then, after getting back to Resa, I was able to talk to Carson for a few hours on Skype. By few, I mean a lot. By a lot, I mean 6.



Monday, Molly, Katie and I attempted to change our train tickets so we could go straight from Madrid to Granada. It was a fruitless attempt. Apparently we needed the original credit card to make any changes and that was in the hands of Lynn, who arranged all our travels for the trip. We contacted Marcel who contacted Lynn who told us she wouldn’t be able to help us until today at 7. We needed some retail therapy so we stopped by H&M on the way home. That evening, we had our last city class and I was able to talk to my fish camp partner, James for a long time! (shoouutttt outttttttt) It was sooo good to catch up. We hadn’t talked in forever.

Today, I got mail from my mom! Which they delivered to the wrong room again, but that means I got it in the morning from Bridget which made my morning so much better. Then, we got to go to the beautiful Park Güell. I’ve been looking forward to going for the LONGEST time. It seemed like we’d never get there. First of all, when you get off the subway, there are just stairs and stairs and stairs. It’s like a stairway to heaven basically. It just goes on and on and on. You think I’m being excessive, I’m not. There were A LOT of stairs. So we finally got to the top and went to a cool little rock mountain thing with some crosses on the top. It was cold and overcast at first but by the afternoon the sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful. We were able to go to the Casa Museu Gaudí, where he lived for 20 years, and saw different things Gaudí designed and his “bed”. Which I doubt was his actual bed. Then, in the plaza part of the park, Marcel gave us a photo project that I just could not handle. It was about depth of field and having a shallow and a deep narrow of field. I could get one but not the other. I even had to switch to manual focus and it was just a complicated mess. I eventually just gave up because I wanted to be able to enjoy where I was. I still probably didn’t take as many pictures as I wish I could have. Oh well. I was able to get Carson something that I think he’ll like and I got myself a pretty ballin’ Park Güell flipbook.



After our walk, we went to Que Pasta! and had lunch. Then, I went to Decathlon and got a duffle bag for the trip tomorrow. Now I don’t have to stuff EVERYTHING into my backpack/don’t have to rewear anything.

In photo class we all discussed and got critiqued on our ideas for the photo project we have to present next week. I told Marcel about my volume idea and he seemed to like it. So hopefully on the train tomorrow or this weekend I can think about other things that I can take pictures of that go along with my 'volume' thing. It was rough relating it to Barcelona but I think I sounded pretty convincing, haha.

After class, a group of us met Lynn to get our tickets changed, which ended up only costing us €14! For dinner, we stopped at a Greek restaurant and I had falafel for the first time! It was so good. And it was in pita and had this delicious sauce. I’m so glad I tried it. After walking home, I booked our train tickets coming back from Granada. Overnight, 11 hour train ride. Check. Should be interesting. I get back Monday morning at 9!

Just 12 more days until I’m back in the great state of Texas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh the stairs to gruel... they were the death of me hahaha the picture of the fountain you took looks absolutely beautiful! have fun in grenada and madrid!