Monday, May 31, 2010

First weekend!

My first weekend in Barcelona was a success! After such a crazy hectic first week it was nice to slow down and be able to finally take things in.

Funniest things so far:
--The man who says "Hello! Good Morning! I see you!" everytime I pass him no matter what time of day it is.
--The man walking a ferret on a leash.
--The women who chase around the pigeons taking a crapload of pictures.
--The squeakers on La Rambla that I JUST found out can't just do that from practice...they actually have something in their mouths. What a bummer, I just thought they were talented. They sound exactly like birds, it's nuts!
--The men at the corner store who insist on playing "Sexy Chick" when we walk in, then turn it off as we're leaving.
--The announcement in 5 languages at the beach to be sure to wait 2 hours after eating before getting in the water.

I wish I had brought:
--Febreeze
--A watch
--An alarm clock
--Pictures of my peeps
--A small camera in addition to my SLR
--More adapters and one universal adapter
--A pair of flip flops that AREN'T leather for the beach
--More t-shirts
Now I know for next time I'm abroad for 5 weeks.

So Saturday a few of my group decided we wanted a little adventure so we made the trek over to Mount Tibidabo, the tallest mountain in the Serra de Collserola. There's an amusement park and a HUGE church, the Temple de Sagrat Cor, at the top. Sam, Jordan and I decided to walk up it instead of taking the tram. An hour and a half later we made it. (My butt was killing me yesterday! I was so sore!) The views were absolutely amazing. It was well worth it. After chilling at the top for a while (and creeping on a wedding that was going on inside the church), Katie and I decided to come back. We made a quick stop at H&M and then came home!



Yesterday we had a pretty chill day. A group of us went to the beach for a few hours. I bought a less loud and obnoxious pair of sunglasses. The whole green/yellow/red sunglasses thing is fine for Fish Camp but they're a little ridiculous for everyday wear...I say this now, months after buying them and wearing them all the time. So now I'm rocking the (fake) black Wayfarers. I'm getting pretty tan. The plan is to return to Texas a lovely shade of dark brown...walking outside for 4 hours everyday and spending countless hours on the beach should make that pretty easy to obtain! Later, we all came back to clean up and we went to a "Mexican" restaurant that I had read about called Margarita Blue. It was good but definitely not the delicious Mexican food we know and love back home. I got a Margarita that was no Bodega Shaker, but it hit the spot. We made a quick stop to get some gelato and crepes, then came home. We walk on the wild side here in Barcelona. Can't you tell?

Today the plan is to rent a sailboat for a couple hours and see the coast. I'm hoping everything works out! It seems a lot of times we plan for things and we have to change the plan at the last minute, but everything is more fun in Spain so it's all good. Later, we have city class and an evening walk. We were all supposed to read these packets for class today but one of them is about streets. An entire book about streets, just take a second to imagine what that's like. It's boring. And the author just thinks streets are the coolest things ever. So needless to say, I haven't finished yet and will be scrambling later to get it read before 4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg i tried fish tacos at this restaurant in austin this past weekend... it just wasnt as good as la bodega... i CANNOT for la bodega nights when you get back :)